.A person suffering from PTSD and a substance use disorder can be complicated to treat. As they abstain from substances, their trauma related symptoms may increase. How would you go about treating this person?
This discussion question meets the following NASAC Standards:
4) Recognize the potential for substance use disorders to mimic a variety of medical and psychological disorders, and the potential for medical and psychological disorders to co-exist with addiction and substance abuse.
10) Describe a variety of helping strategies for reducing the negative effects of substance abuse and dependency.
14) Be familiar with medical and pharmaceutical resources in the treatment of addictive disease and other substance-related disorders.
23) Understand and appropriately apply agency-specific policies and procedures for handling crises or dangerous situations, including safety measures for clients and staff.
106) Describe principles and philosophies of prevention, treatment, relapse, and recovery.