Assignment: Essay 3 Comparison and Contrast Essay
Write a 1000-1200 word comparison and contrast essay. Choose a topic from the approved list. Your essay should have a clear thesis, three or more body paragraphs, and a conclusion to wrap up your main points.
Use the topic approved by your instructor for the Comparison and Contrast essay on the discussion board. All topics must be approved by the instructor. Any topic not approved will receive a zero for the assignment.
Remember to follow MLA format for submitting your paper. See Chapter 13.4
- Double spaced
- 1000 to 1200 words in length
- 12 point font
- New Times Romanfont
- 1″ margins on all sides
- Format for name, etc
Mini Speeches are designed to give students the opportunity to practice their speaking skills without having an “audience”. Please see the instructions below:
Step 1: Choose ONE of the following questions below (please DO NOT use all of them) to be the basis of your mini speech.
- A. If you could put the face of anyone (alive, deceased, famous or not) on the face of Mount Rushmore, who would it be? What three
reasons do you have to support your choice?
- If you could interview anyone (alive, deceased, famous or not), who would you choose to interview? Why would you choose this
person? Finally, you are told you can only ask them one question…what would that question be?
- You are given access to a time machine for one day (and only one day…) and you can go anywhere in time – before or after your life,
sometime in your past or future, or even a sideways in time. Where would you go and why would you choose this time or place?
What would you do there?
- You are walking along a deserted road and encounter a genie lamp in the middle of the road…you know what this means…you
get three wishes! What would be your three wishes and why would you wish for those three things? (Rule: You are not allowed
to wish for anything that would give you more wishes…you get three and only three.)
- You are given the task to fill a time capsule that will be opened in 100 years. In this time capsule, you must place three items that will
help the individuals who will open it up to understand what life was like during this year. What three items would you place in this time
capsule and why?
Step 2: Create a short speech that answers the question you chose. Utilize description with your answers.
Step 3. Create a short video (no more than 2 minutes) with you presenting your answer. No visual aids or audience required.
Step 4. Post this video. Please view the technical speech requirements below about posting videos.
Technical Speech Requirements:
- NO spectators have to be present for this speech
- There should be NO “starting and stopping” during this time. You should not try to find the “best take” but allow your speech to be a “live” presentation. Grades will not be given for a speech that possesses segmented material OR splicing.
- When taping, please ensure that your video is close enough for the graders and reviewers to see you; however, far enough for any visual aids to be seen and your body gestures. Video should at least show from the torso up. Speakers should be standing.
- After you complete your speech, post the video to YouTube. If you need further help, please visit the YouTube Upload Instruction(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Next, follow the instructions to post your speech to the course: