This project will assess your understanding and management of conflict through a paper outlining a personal or professional conflict you were involved in or helped to mediate. The conflict you select should have three distinct stages: 1. Initial Conflict (What started the issue and what initial steps were taken to resolve it?) 2. Escalation (Why did the initial conflict balloon into something bigger?) 3. Resolution (How was the conflict eventually resolved and what were the results?
10-12 page essay
a. The essay should be double-spaced with 1 inch margins and should be written in Times New Roman 12 point font b. The essay should be formatted in APA format with 3-5 references
Content Guidelines for Submissions: papers should be structured around and contain the following topics:
1. An outline of the Conflict: Identify the issue that began the conflict, the players and their roles within the conflict, the severity of the conflict, and your personal role in the conflict at the initial stage.
2. Identification of the Conflict: Identify the type of conflict (value, structural, data, relationship, or interest) and support the identification with evidence from the conflict.
3. Initial Management of the Conflict: Discuss the initial steps used to manage the conflict and the form of management taken (accommodation, avoidance, competition, compromise, collaboration, or a combination of these).
4. Escalation: Identify why the initial method of conflict management failed and why the conflict escalated. Be sure to examine closely the roles that emotion, intimacy, and relationships played at this stage.
5. Outcomes: Assess the potential outcomes of the conflict after it escalated. Describe a possible outcome for each of the three scenarios: win-win, win-lose, and lose-lose.
6. Mediation: Discuss the necessity of having a mediator, assess what kind of mediator could have been used in this conflict, and describe the possible benefits and drawbacks of mediation
7. Resolution: Describe how the conflict was resolved and whether the resolution was effective. Map out the actual or potential results of the resolution on a timeline.
PROJECT SUBMISSION 1. A title page is not required for project submissions