We are now ready to work on Step 3 in the design and development of your HRD training program.
Cindy Kramer, one of the vice presidents at Fleet Trucking, has responded to your memos by expressing the concerns of upper management about training office personnel. They are especially concerned about several of the office staff who have been on the job for quite a while. Cindy points out that these are older employees, who have been with the company for years. Younger office employees will no doubt enjoy the training. But some of the older employee have not attended school for 25 years. Cindy is concerned that placing these employees into a classroom setting would make them feel as if they were in elementary school again.
Week 03 Step
Develop a statement addressed to Cindy Kramer and upper management explaining to them the importance of learning styles, adult learning, and how to make it work so that older employees can learn comfortably alongside younger ones. Compose the memo by addressing the following issues:
- Outline some of the distinctive ways adults learn, particularly compared to how children and youth learn. How are you going to ensure that you meet these needs?
- How your training will seek to address adult trainee characteristics and why it is important to be aware of these:
- Perception of the work environment
- Personality and attitudes
- Explain how you plan to meet each learner’s individual learning style needs in the design of your program.
- Explain why it is vital to meet each learner’s needs.