Part III – Synthesizing and Writing
Write at three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- State your position on the topic you selected for Assignment 1.1.
- Identify the strongest argument that supports your position in the debate. Present the argument and evaluate it (do it in an essay form, and so, differently than what you did in Assignment 1.2). Do the same for the strongest argument supporting your opponent’s view. Which argument is stronger and how can we assess that?
- Explain your answers to the “believing game” questions about the three (3) premises opposing your position from the Procon.org website.
- Examine at least two (2) types of biases that you likely experienced as you evaluated the premises for and against your position.
- Discuss the effects of your own enculturation or group identification that may have influenced your biases.
- Discuss whether or not your thinking about the topic has changed after playing the “Believing Game,” even if your position on the issue has stayed the same.
Remember to do research and only use high-quality sources in this paper. ProCon.org was appropriate for the pre-writing stage, but not for the actual research paper.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.