Family Support Group Meeting
Locate an open recovery/support group that includes families in your local community. Attend one of the groupâ€™s open meetings. The group can be for any type of substance or process addiction and does not have to be a 12-step meeting (AA, NA, Al-Anon, etc.), but it should be a non-clinical support group that includes family members. Ensure that the meeting is considered “open” prior to attending it.
Please Note: It is not appropriate to take notes while in a support group meeting, so please refrain and just take notes for yourself immediately after the meeting.
Write a two-part paper of 1,250-1,500 words that summarizes your experience at the meeting. Be sure to include important concepts presented in the meeting while maintaining the privacy/anonymity of all meeting attendees. Include the following in your paper:
Part 1: Summarize the Meeting
- Include the address, date, start time, and end time of meeting
- Describe the format of the meeting that you attended (examples: speaker meeting, discussion meeting, Big Book meeting, etc.)
- Describe the contents of the meeting (prayers, readings, etc.)
- List any key speakers (Use only first name to protect anonymity)
- What was your overall impression of the meeting?
Part 2: Concepts and Methods
- Identify the major concepts/methods utilized in the group. For example, are any books, prayers, principles or guidelines, or any protocolsâ€“utilized?
- Also, indicate if the meeting is for a specific population or group such as women, men, LGBTQ, and the elderly, etc.
Part 3: The Nature of 12-Step Programs
- Explain why 12-step and other self- or mutual-help groups are non-clinical.
- Can substance abuse counselors self-disclose to clients that they are in recovery themselves? If so, how do they know what to share and what not to share? How much self-disclosure is appropriate? Refer to the NAADAC ethical codes related to this issue found in the Class Resources.
Include at least three scholarly resources in addition to the textbook in your paper.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This assignment meets the following NASAC Standards:
6) Appreciate the importance of family, social networks, and community systems in the treatment and recovery process.
10) Describe a variety of helping strategies for reducing the negative effects of substance abuse and dependency.
95) Understand the characteristics and dynamics of families, couples, and intimate dyads affected by addiction.
98) Help members of the family, couple, or intimate dyed understand the interaction between their system and addiction.
99) Help families, couples, and intimate dyads adopt strategies and behaviors that sustain recovery and maintain healthy relationships.
104) Describe how addiction affects families and significant/concerned others.
105) Describe continuum of care resources that are available to significant/concerned others.