1. Assess Corbin Church?s plan for selling Miche bags. How was changing his approach from franchising to a direct sales home party approach a more effective strategic plan?
2. Would you characterize Corbin Church?s sales method a standing plan or a single use plan? Why?
3. As the economy improves, should Corbin Church change his plan? In other words, should he consider going back to a franchise model of sales rather than the direct sales home party method he?s currently using?
1. Why would a company ever give any of its products away for free?
2. How does Management by Objectives impact Kaneva?s planning process? Describe why Kaneva’s daily meeting is a stand-up meeting.
3. At the end of the video, CEO Chris Klaus says that Kaneva employees can spend 20 percent of their time on projects outside of the scope of the “roadmap.” What does this mean? Do you approve or disapprove?
CHAPTER 8 EOC:
HP?s Tough Decisions
1. What do you think about Meg Whitman?s decision to keep the PC business at HP? Would you have made the same decision?
2. Using the rational decision making process, evaluate Whitman?s decision. In other words, what was the existing problem, what were the possible alternatives, etc.?
3. How would you characterize the scope of Whitman?s decision? What levels of management were affected? Finally, should Whitman have used consensus in making her choice? Why or why not?
1. Using information provided in the video, give examples of both programmed and non-programmed decisions made by the leaders of Southwest Airlines.
2. Are decisions made by Southwest primarily done so under conditions of risk, uncertainty, or both? Explain your answer.
3. Explain how the rational decision making process was applied to solve a problem at Southwest Airlines.
b. Antioch College?s No-Tuition Strategy
1. Assess Antioch College?s mission statement as it appears above. What is good about this mission and what would you change?
2. What do you think about Antioch College?s no-tuition strategy? Is it sustainable for its first four years? What challenges do you see for the college?
3. What kind of internal and external environment currently exists for Antioch College?
4. Based on what you read here, conduct a brief SWOT analysis of Antioch College.
1. Do the special advantages of having a restaurant on a truck outweigh the disadvantages for the owners of Nom Nom? Explain.
2. What was the strategy of Stankunas and the other owners of Nom Nom when they began the venture? How has this strategy changed or evolved?
3. How does owner David Stankunas feel about planning a business? What advice does he give for would-be entrepreneurs?
CH 10 EOC:
1. Does it seem reasonable that Sherilyn McCoy and Andrea Jung before her were attempting to organize Avon to make it more competitive? Explain.
2. List five questions that McCoy should ask herself in exploring how to best organize Avon.
3. Explain why it would be important for McCoy to ask each of the questions you listed.
b. How 3M is Departmentalized
1. Do you feel that a product departmentalization structure is best for 3M? Why or why not?
2. What challenges do you envision for Buckley in attempting to maintain his current organizational structure?
3. Based on 3M?s departmentalization, do you think it has a very tall organization chart or a very short organizational chart? Why?