Describe a recent change you experienced in your professional practice. Describe in detail three things that were successful and three things that were not successful. Include a discussion of why the successes worked and what could have been done to make the less successful actions effective.
Recent change: Adding a new position to nursing admin, nursing shift coordinator or also known as the resource nurses”
Role: Respond to all medical emergencies (code blue and rapid response) in the hospital including sepsis alerts, stroke alerts, code crimson, STEMI. Round in all departments and support nurses when needed.
- 1. Delay in responding to medical emergencies have decreased
- 2. Increase compliance and timeliness of nursing interventions during medical emergencies
- 3. Early identification of patient’s change in condition – early treatment and interventions resulting to decrease code blue activation outside the ICUs
- 1. Vague description of the position – causing confusion as to what the role is meant for
- 2. Unclear roles and responsibilities – whenever there’s new project or assignments, it tends to fall under resource nurses (more tasks are being added)
- 3. Increase dependence of nursing staff – nursing staff are relying on resource nurses to support them in basic nursing staff such as IV insertion or ADLs.