There are three parts to this essay. The first part focuses on prevalence; the second part focuses on symptoms of substance use disorders; and the third part focuses on the two systems of care (mental health and substance abuse/dependence). The length of the entire essay should be 750-1,000 words.
Part 1: The Prevalence of Co-Occurring Disorders
The purpose of this part of the assignment is to identify the prevalence of co-occurring disorders. Read Chapter 1, â€œIntroduction,â€ in the Treatment Improvement Protocol, No. 42 and Chapter 1 of the text. Answer the following questions regarding prevalence of COD (co-occurring disorders).
- What is at least one statistical piece of information that you do not find surprising? Explain why.
- Conversely, what is at least one statistical piece of information that was interesting or surprising? Explain why.
Part 2: Clinical Symptoms of Substance Use Disorders
The purpose of this part of the assignment is to become familiar with the diagnostic criteria for substance use disorders. Read pages 483-484 of the DSM-5. Answer the following question regarding substance use disorders.
- What are the 11-criterion used for identifying and diagnosing a substance use disorder? Provide a brief description of each.
Part 3: The Similarities and Differences in the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Systems
The purpose of this part of the assignment is to examine the similarities and differences between the mental health and substance use disorder systems. Read the â€œSubstance Abuse Treatment Systemâ€ and â€œMental Health Service Systemâ€ sections from TIP No. 42, Chapter 3, â€œMental Health and Addiction Treatment Systems: Philosophical and Treatment Approach Issues,â€ in TIP 9, and Chapter 7 of the text. Address the following:
- Describe at least two differences and two similarities between the two systems.
- Discuss the importance of using an integrated approach to treating a client with co-occurring disorders.
Include at least three scholarly references in your paper.
Prepare this essay according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This assignment meets the following NASAC Standards:
4) Recognize the potential for substance use disorders to mimic a variety of medical and psychological disorders, and the potential for medical and psychological disorders to co-exist with addiction and substance abuse.
10) Describe a variety of helping strategies for reducing the negative effects of substance abuse and dependency.
14) Be familiar with medical and pharmaceutical resources in the treatment of addictive disease and other substance-related disorders.
106) Describe principles and philosophies of prevention, treatment, relapse, and recovery.