Comparative Essay – MGT4303 (25%)
Due beginning of class in Week 10
This essay will compare and contrast your own LinkedIn profile with someone else’s. Choose a professor, upper year student, industry leader or other person with a robust profile. The profile you use for comparison should be one you can learn from and that will help you form recommendations for improving your own profile.
- Your introduction should provide a thesis, and then declare which profiles are being compared, and which three to five criteria of comparison will be used. Make sure the criteria for comparison and why you chose them are clear in the introduction.
- Your body should compare and contrast the two profiles using the point by point or block method of comparison explained in class.
- Your recommendations should show how you can improve your own profile based on the comparison. The focus should be on immediate improvements you can make by including additional elements, but you may also include experience you would like to gain.
- Your criteria for comparison and recommendations should take into account what you have learned about selling yourself and building an online presence from Beyond a Resume and from the student presentations.
- Your conclusion should summarize your main points and restate your thesis.
- Your essay should be 1500-2000 words long.
Include a cover page with the following information:
- Your name
- Professor Name
- Course Name
Your essay should be in 12 point font, single spaced, with paragraphs of a maximum of ten lines.
Style and Mechanics
- This is a formal academic essay; however, due to the subject, you may use “I”
- PROOFREAD your work!
The APA doesn’t currently specify how to cite a LinkedIn Profile. I was able to find a blog post (http://associationleadersnetwork.blogspot.ca/2012/07/how-to-cite-linkedin-profile.html) that shows a references entry for a LinkedIn profile should be formatted as follows:
Nicole Schiller Palmisano. (n.d.) LinkedIn [Profile page]. Retrieved July 12. 2012,
Any other sources should be referenced according to standard APA format.
Submit your essay as one electronic file through the Turnitin link on Blackboard.
Your essay will be graded on content, organization, language use, format and APA style referencing according to the rubric posted on Blackboard.